Upcoming ASN Neurosonology Exams
Offered at the ASN Annual Meeting
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach
Resort & Spa – Puerto Rico
6000 Rio Mar Boulevard
Rio Grande, PR 00745-6100
Sunday, January, 27, 2019
Registration Details Coming Soon
The ASN examination in Neurosonology is designed to assess a physician's ability to apply knowledge, concepts, and principles of neuroimaging that constitute the basis of safe and effective patient care. They are designed to assess whether the candidate can apply the medical knowledge and understanding of biomedical and clinical sciences considered essential for the unsupervised practice of neuroimaging. The Neurosonology Proficiency Examination is not based on the review course in Neurosonology given at the ASN Annual Meeting. The course does not cover the entire content of the exam. Examinees are encouraged to use the Orientation and Suggested Readings to prepare for the exam.
At the ASN January 2010 Board Meeting, the ASN Board of Directors approved a maintenance of certification policy that will become effective January 1, 2011. It will apply to all future ASN Neurosonology Exam diplomates.
All ASN certificates issued after the January 2011 Neurosonology Exam are time-limited, expiring on January 31st of the 3rd year after the date of issuance. There are three requirements that must be met during the 3 year cycle in order to be recertified for another 3 year period. The diplomate must:
1. Maintain a current, active, valid, unrestricted, and unqualified license to practice medicine;
2. Continue to be in good standing in the primary specialty of an ABMS member board that was required for eligibility when he or she applied for initial ASN certification (does not apply to foreign diplomats); and
3. Complete 15 category 1 CME hours specific to ultrasound.
To be eligible for the Neurosonology examination, a candidate must meet and provide documentation of the following criteria:
- Hold a valid medical license (or equivalent);
- US Practicing Physicians: Be Board Certified or eligible for Boards in an ABMS or AOA (American Osteopathic Association) recognized specialty;
- Foreign Medical Graduates not practicing as physicians in US: do not need to be ABMS BC/BE;
- 40 CME AMA Category 1 Credits in ultrasound obtained within the last three years OR
- Full-time fellowship within the last three years (15 CMEs for fellowship training over 3 years ago); and
- Verification of performance and/or interpretation of at least 100 studies under supervision for each component to be tested (e.g. TCD and carotid).
PLEASE NOTE: You must submit all of the above documentation in a single pdf during the registration process. If you are registering as a physician in training, you must also include verification of your training status. Please have your documents ready before you register.
If you are unable to take all three parts of the exam on the date of the initial exam you have the option to take the third part at an additional charge within two years. For example: If you have 100 TCD AND 100 carotid cases, you can take all three parts in one day. If you only have 100 TCD cases, you can take two of the three portions of the Neurosonology examination and have the option to take the third part on carotids at anytime within 2 years at an extra charge. Please call the Executive Office at (952) 545-6291 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
* Those who have not yet received Board Eligibility/Certification or medical license at the time of the examination will receive their results upon providing supporting documentation.
PARTIAL EXAM RETAKE
Please contact the Executive Office at (952) 545-6291 or email@example.com if you need to retake a section of the exam. Do not register using the main registration site.
No refunds will be given for the exam, and payments cannot be carried over to the next year if you do not take the exam in the year that you paid the exam fee.
* Those who have not yet received Board Eligibility/Certification or a medical license at the time of the examination will receive their results upon providing supporting documentation.
** ASN Neurosonology Credential is recognized by the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories as a credential allowing an MD to serve as the Medical Director of a vascular ultrasound laboratory.
Please visit http://intersocietal.org/vascular/main/reimbursement_vascular.htm for reimbursement information.